Lately I've been in a rut on what to make for dinner...I like easy, quick, healthy, and yummy recipes...but sometimes I have an urge to take some "me time" and really cook in the kitchen...even if I have a toddler pulling on my leg the entire time because he can't see what I'm doing.
I've seen a recipe for sausage and spinach shells floating around the pinterest world, and I'd thought I'd give it a try. I actually didn't even look at a recipe, but just went with the title "sausage and spinach shells"...and made it my own with what I had at hand in the kitchen. Luckily they turned out amazing, and the hubby has asked for them again...already... and it's only been a week.
Stuffed Sausage and Spinach Shells
- 1 box of jumbo shells [you may not use them all]
- 1 pound sausage
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup frozen spinach [thawed and squeeze dry]
- 1/2 block of cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook jumbo pasta shells as directed on back of the box. When finished cooking, drain and then set the shells in in a bowl of ice water.
- Cook sausage in a large sauce pan until browned.
- Add garlic, tomatoes and spinach [make sure your spinach is thawed and has been squeezed dry]
- Stir in cream cheese and an egg...[I've also heard of using ricotta cheese- whatever your preference.]
- Fill your chilled, jumbo shells with your filling [try and get as much excess water out of shells] and arrange them in a baking dish (I used a 9x13). Sprinkle your mozzarella shredded cheese on top of the shells.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the edges are turning brown. ENJOY!